I’m not ashamed to say it: I love YouTube Premium!
- Basic YouTube is free for everyone, but Premium has some great perks.
- The best of these are ad-free videos, music, and background playback.
- Evaluate the streaming services you pay for – if you subscribe to some you don’t use, cancel or pause them to save money each month.
If you asked me what my favorite subscription streaming service is, my answer might surprise you. It’s not Hulu, Netflix, Disney+, or any of the many other entertainment services out there. It’s YouTube Premium. I have several good reasons to love the service and be happy to pay for it. Learn more about YouTube premium, its price and features, and see if you might enjoy it as much as I do.
Introducing YouTube Premium
A standard YouTube Premium subscription costs $11.99 per month if you sign up through YouTube’s website. (If you sign up through the YouTube app on an Apple mobile device, it’ll cost you $15.99 per month, so I recommend signing up through the YouTube website to save those dollars.) A family plan gives you up to to six memberships within your household. and costs $17.99 per month. What does it come with?
- Ad-free videos! No more watching or skipping ads before, during or after a video.
- You can download videos on the app to watch them offline later. Say, if you’re getting ready for a flight and you don’t have internet access, you don’t have to skip entertainment if you plan ahead and download stuff!
- You can play videos in the background and even as picture in picture on your mobile devices.
- It comes with YouTube Music Premium, which is also ad-free and allows downloads for offline listening. There are tons of community playlists to match your every musical mood.
- You get ad-free access to YouTube Originals and access to some content that is not available on the free version of YouTube at all. I admit this is a feature of the service that I have never used, but there are plenty of videos and original series on offer, so there might be something for you!
- Ad-free and offline downloads for YouTube Kids. I don’t have kids and can’t give you a personal opinion on this, but I have friends with kids who love this service. YouTube Kids offers kid-friendly, age-appropriate programming from popular TV shows, as well as original offerings from content creators around the world.
Anyone with the internet can access YouTube for free, so why would you subscribe? Well, here’s why I do it.
1. I use it every day
It’s good practice to audit your streaming services from time to time and really look at how often you use them and how much they cost you per month (especially since the costs of some of them keep to increase). I know $10 or $12 a month doesn’t sound like a lot, but multiply that by 12 months and the number of streaming services you pay for and don’t use, and it adds up every year.
I actually just put my Netflix subscription on “pause” (you can do this for up to 10 months without losing your account data) because I haven’t really been using it at all lately, and I want to maybe get it back in a few months. But I use YouTube Premium every day. Often several times a day. Sometimes all day! In fact, as I write this article, I am listening to a community playlist on YouTube Music.
2. He keeps me informed
I don’t have cable or even an antenna to watch local television. I’m a digital subscriber to a major newspaper, but sometimes I like to watch my news rather than read it. YouTube Premium keeps me informed with an entire section devoted to current affairs, and many major news outlets publish excerpts from the biggest stories they cover.
3. Background gaming is like a small miracle
The YouTube mobile app allows “background playback” with a Premium subscription. This means I can listen to a video while I check email or social media on my phone. It’s a multitasker’s dream.
4. The app works well on all my devices
Speaking of the app, YouTube has several versions of its app, including a separate YouTube Music app. All work well on the mobile devices I use (smartphone and two tablets) and the two smart TVs in my house. The desktop site is also excellent, and it’s easy to find account information and settings and change things as needed.
5. It’s ad-free!
Perhaps the best thing about YouTube Premium is that I no longer have to watch or skip ads before/during/after videos. Of course, YouTube Premium doesn’t save me from the “now a word about our sponsor” ads that are part of content creator videos like me. But these creators do amazing work and if the sponsors help pay, I think that’s great. My problem with YouTube ads always came with ones that were obnoxious and inescapable, even after several seconds. Or the ones that would break out in the middle of a soothing video of birdwatching in the garden, scaring my shyest cat away from the TV and disrupting whatever chore I was doing to press “jump” or disable ad.
For all these reasons and more, I will keep my YouTube Premium subscription. We’re all under a lot of competing pressures on our finances these days, and I urge you to take a look at the streaming subscriptions you’re paying for, throw away the ones you don’t use, and keep the ones you don’t. live (or at least your couch time!) better.
Alert: The highest cash back card we’ve seen now has 0% introductory APR through 2023
If you use the wrong credit or debit card, it could cost you dearly. Our expert loves this top pick, which features an introductory APR of 0% until 2023, an insane cashback rate of up to 5%, and all with no annual fee.
In fact, this map is so good that our expert even uses it personally. Click here to read our full review for free and apply in just 2 minutes.
Read our free review