WASHINGTON (Reuters) – A social media site launched on Sunday by Jason Miller, a senior adviser to former US President Donald Trump, was briefly hacked and more than 500,000 people signed up to use the site, Miller said.

GETTR, a Twitter-style platform with topical posts and topics, touted itself on the Google and Apple app stores as “an unbiased social network for people around the world.”

“The problem was detected and sealed within minutes, and all the intruder could accomplish was change a few usernames,” Miller said in an emailed statement to Reuters.

A Salon editor posted screenshots of several GETTR profiles on Twitter, including those of former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Miller himself, which were edited to read “JubaBaghdad was here, follow me on Twitter :)”.

Asked about safety on new social media, Miller said the situation had been “rectified.”

Miller had teased Team Trump’s plans to launch a new social media platform for months following action by Twitter and other sites to block the former president after the Jan.6 riot where his supporters stormed the Capitol.

Former Trump adviser Steve Bannon on Sunday described GETTR as “the Twitter killer” in an article posted to the new site.

Trump has been permanently banned from Twitter and remains suspended by Facebook until at least 2023 and Alphabet’s YouTube until the company determines the risk of violence has decreased.

Miller told Fox News earlier this week that he hoped Trump would join him, but the former president was considering a number of options. He said Trump is not funding the platform.

(Reporting by Andrea Shalal; Editing by Marguerita Choy)


Source link

Previous

Benefits: 2 actions to watch in July

Next

"It saved my life" - South Shields woman diagnosed with breast cancer after her first mammogram at age 50

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also