Role and responsibilities
The WASH Project Manager plans, develops, monitors and evaluates the assigned WASH project(s). This involves assessing WASH needs, designing projects, writing proposals and initiating and effectively managing and reporting on projects according to objectives, schedule and budget. Providing technical support, leadership and strategic direction, other important aspects of the role include upholding quality standards in WASH delivery, encouraging beneficiary participation, liaising with other stakeholders and management and training of WASH staff.
Due to the war in Ukraine, the health needs are immense – support for those who have fled their homes in the East, as well as in post-conflict areas. The role requires an agile individual to implement water, sanitation and hygiene improvements through local Vodakanals, including training of key community staff. The role will involve travel to support our various bases and mentoring Medair staff.
Workplace and conditions
Field position based in Ukraine.
Start date / Initial contract details
As soon as possible, Full time, 6 to 12 months.
Main fields of activity
WASH project management
- Manage assigned WASH projects to achieve project objectives within budget and on time.
- Provide strong leadership of the assigned WASH project(s), ensuring positive short- and long-term impacts and outcomes for beneficiaries, local authorities (if applicable) and local WASH staff.
- Implement appropriate and effective WASH strategies in consultation with other WASH staff and field managers.
- Set clear targets and indicators for WASH activities in collaboration with WASH staff, field managers and, where appropriate, local communities.
- Continuously monitor and supervise WASH activities, overseeing the technical design, execution and evaluation of progress through outcomes and impacts using quantitative and qualitative data.
- Contribute to the integration of beneficiary participation and responsibility in all aspects of the project.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities in accordance with Medair, donors and other applicable deadlines.
- Develop new proposals, linked to the country strategy, in conjunction with the field managers concerned.
- Manage the WASH officer(s) of the assigned project(s) online, including day-to-day management, development and training, assessments, etc. It may also be necessary to manage other WASH project staff online.
- Facilitate regular meetings to facilitate information sharing between project staff, to ensure that all staff members are aware of project objectives, progress, current work plans and to provide the opportunity to make comments.
- Provide coaching and supervision of staff to develop ownership and full responsibility for WASH activities.
- Assess training needs of WASH staff and ensure appropriate training is provided/conducted.
- Manage the WASH budget for the assigned project(s) and ensure that all expenditures are on budget and adhere to Medair standards for financial management, including accountability and good governance.
- Communication and co-ordination
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned WASH team, Medair country and HQ WASH managers and advisors and other relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders , local and national government officials, UN agencies and other NGOs), with the aim of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships.
- Participate in WASH coordination meetings and other working groups or meetings as required, represent Medair and brief WASH staff and field managers on relevant issues.
- Support the logistics activities of WASH staff, especially with regard to the purchase of supplies and equipment for assigned WASH activities.
- Liaise, as necessary, with WASH, logistics and finance staff to ensure items are procured, transported, stored, managed and accounted for correctly.
- Promote and use the Medair electronic library and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardized formats are used and guidelines are followed.
- Ensure that WASH projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, national and international standards i.e. Sphere and HAP standards.
Team spiritual life
- Reflect Medair values to team members, local staff, beneficiaries and external contacts.
- Work, live and pray together in our Christian faith-based team frameworks. Contribute fully to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to the Medair International Prayer Network.
This job description covers the main tasks foreseen. Other duties may be assigned as needed.
- Advanced degree in a technical field, preferably in the field of water and sanitation.
- BSc/MSc in Water/Environmental Engineering or Management or Civil Engineering or Hydrology/Geology.
- Excellent working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- 2 years of post-graduate work experience in a relevant field.
- Management experience in a WASH context.
- Ability and willingness to manage project implementation.
- Good digital, report writing and administrative skills.
- Problem solving and technical skills WASH in a humanitarian context.
- Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian standards such as Sphere and HAP.
- Team player with good interpersonal skills and a willingness to support others and share the workload.
- Ability to community mobilization and capacity building.
- Experience in training/mentoring/coaching staff.
- Able to clearly establish priorities, oversee multiple tasks and take initiative in project decisions.
- Able to enforce procedures and set clear goals for staff and delegate.
- Committed to consultative and helpful leadership.
How to register
Please ensure that you are fully aware of:
b) Medair is committed to ensuring the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and in particular children. Therefore, we do not employ staff who we understand are unsuitable for working with children. Medair personnel are expected to have the utmost respect for and comply with, Medair Liability Policies and Best Practices.
vs) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which is part of the recruitment screening process for field positions).
To apply, go to this job offer on our Medair page.
Please do not submit multiple applications. We will not consider applications by e-mail. Only applications/CVs in English will be considered.